View Larger Map

blue pin: visited; yellow pin: transit;

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Day 12: Seoul (The ultimate instant noodle)

We had lunch together at Myeongdong. When he told me he wanted to bring me to eat some noodle soup, I thought "Ahh.. just another noodle soup."


Myeongdong shopping street in a mess.

Nolboo


Shop entrance

He had been here three times, so he took care of the ordering. Anyway, from the menu everything looked the same to me hehehe...

Most restaurants here will provide apron if you order food that could stain your clothes. Not like in Singapore, I would think twice to have laksa if I wear a white top.


The side dishes


Before it's cooked.


Ready to eat.

This dish is called beef budaejjigae (army base stew with beef). When I first heard about it, I was thinking why the name was so weird. The reason behind it is because it was originally created from the leftover food that came from US Military Base during the Korean War. At that time, meat was scarce so locals used the leftover canned ham and hotdogs and cooked it with their traditional spicy soybean paste soup. That's how it got its name now.



Leftover or not, the noodle soup was absolutely divine. It was indeed a Korean instant noodle but with all these ingredients, it's a fine one! And I protested to hubby, "Why you only bring me here now?"

After lunch, I walked around the other side of Myeongdong that I've never been before.


Post Tower


Post box


Water fountain in front of Post Tower.

I'm more interested in flowers than shopping now. :D


Roadside flowers


Before it blooms.


In many colors.







From the Post Tower I went to Shinsegae Department Store. It is a luxury department store with brands like Hermes, LV, Chanel. Not my level, hehehe...




In the alley behind Shinsegae. Dare to exchange money here??

Hurray, I didn't buy anything at all! :D

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love korean stews!! I would like to try this franchise out too but might have trouble finding this eatery since Myeongdong is quite big. Do you recall if there's any branded store near it?

Irene said...

Nolboo is easier to find hehe... The landmark nearby is the Post Tower (Headquarter of the Seoul Post Office). On its left there is a small alley just walk towards the Myeongdong shopping area and you'll find it on your right.

Unknown said...

Hmm.. don't recall the Post Tower on my trip last mth but it should be good enough hee.

♥ Melody said...

Nolboo Restaurant
25-3 Chungmuro 1(il)-ga, Jung-gu, SeoulTel:+82 2-757-5510